Copy code Skip to main content

How to Do Dip Powder Nails

 Staying at home means avoiding the nail salon, and as someone who always  smudges regular nail polish (seriously, how is it possible that they can still  be ready to smear by the time I go to bed?), I have a newfound appreciation for the variety of modern manicure solutions available. I previously reviewed Ohora's at-home gel strips , which are a great option for hassle-free designs. Another option that I really like, even though I am far  from a pro, is dip powder. Dip powder is essentially an acrylic powder that contains pigments or glitters. You purchase a set of liquids that can be used with the powders of your choice for a quick and clean manicure that requires very little dry time. Dip powder is easily accessible, and if you're new to dip nails in general, I'd suggest a reasonably priced option for practice. I started with the Lavender Violets brand on Amazon, which comes with a set of powders + all the liquids you need for a beginner. I did find that the longevit

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque

Happy New Year! 2018 has rushed in at a balmy zero degrees Fahrenheit, and what better way to warm up than with this seriously amazing creamy tomato bisque?

I've been exhausted lately, so I've been fairly quiet on the blogging front. That's not to say that I haven't been cooking up a storm (just check out my instagram), even though the holidays knocked me off of the healthy train for a few days.



So, today I dove back in with an awesome tomato bisque. The original recipe is by Debi at Lifecurrents, but my adaptation is below.



I had every intention of making this a slow cooker dinner, but you know how that goes... I'm 15 minutes away on the interstate heading to the office when it dawns on me that I never actually put anything in the crockpot. Oops.

Luckily, this wasn't too difficult, and with a few chopped veggies and a whirl with the immersion blender, this was an amazingly filling and delicious dinner.



You can make your own grilled cheese anyway you like to pair with this tomato soup, but we used Udi's gluten free bread and lots of cheddar.


Creamy Tomato Bisque

  • 28 oz petite diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups of chicken broth
  • 4-6 carrots (depending on size) peeled and chopped
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 tsp herbs provence
  • 1 tsp salt
  • dash of black pepper
  • 1 bayleaf
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened and sliced into smaller pieces
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup gluten free flour
  • 2 cups half and half or cream (I used 1 cup of each, as that is what I had on hand)
  • 3/4-1 cup shredded parmesan

Instructions

  1. In a large soup pot, add the undrained can of tomatoes, broth, chopped carrots, onion, spices and bayleaf. Bring to a boil on high, then reduce heat to medium and cover, letting it cook until the carrots are soft.
  2. Use the immersion blender to blend soup until the vegetables are smaller. Do not completely puree-- smaller chunks are fine and add a nice texture to the soup.
  3. Cover the soup and let simmer. 
  4. While the soup is simmering, add oil and butter to a small pot and heat until the butter is melted. Be careful not to let it burn, and whisk as it is melting.
  5. Slowly the flour a bit at a time, whisking constantly until you have a roux (all of the flour is blended into the butter mixture).
  6. Slowly pour the flour and butter mixture into the soup a third at a time, stirring in between pours until well blended.
  7. Add the cream and parmesan cheese, and mix until well blended. Cover and let it heat until hot, stirring every few minutes so that the cheese does not clump.
  8. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Do Dip Powder Nails

 Staying at home means avoiding the nail salon, and as someone who always  smudges regular nail polish (seriously, how is it possible that they can still  be ready to smear by the time I go to bed?), I have a newfound appreciation for the variety of modern manicure solutions available. I previously reviewed Ohora's at-home gel strips , which are a great option for hassle-free designs. Another option that I really like, even though I am far  from a pro, is dip powder. Dip powder is essentially an acrylic powder that contains pigments or glitters. You purchase a set of liquids that can be used with the powders of your choice for a quick and clean manicure that requires very little dry time. Dip powder is easily accessible, and if you're new to dip nails in general, I'd suggest a reasonably priced option for practice. I started with the Lavender Violets brand on Amazon, which comes with a set of powders + all the liquids you need for a beginner. I did find that the longevit

Apple Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes and Bacon

If you've seen my post about  Peachy Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes , you already know how I feel about sheet pan recipes. These sheet pancakes pull together all the goodness of regular pancakes, plus the ease of a casserole-- no more standing at the stove flipping batter! UPDATE: These make a great breakfast sandwich -- perfect for a crowd! If you have not checked out that recipe, I recommend you check it out , as this is a significant improvement over an adaptation of the first. Since it's fall, and we have been doing all the fall things-- like a family pumpkin painting day, and trying to brave the fall festivals even though it's unexpectedly hot-- these pancakes bring a taste of fall with apples, cinnamon, maple syrup and bacon. Yum! Read on for the recipe. Apple Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes Ingredients: 1 cup gluten free bisquick 2 tbsp cooking oil of choice, plus a little for greasing the pan 1 egg 1 cup milk 1/2 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for

Curly Girl Routine for Wavies: My Secretly Wavy Hair

My hair has been straight for my entire life. Puffy-straight. "Needs time to calm down" after blow drying it, straight. Works great with extra heavy conditioner, straight.  Sure, occasionally I'd wake up with a few curls here and there, but after brushing my hair-- because brushing is a must!-- they would disappear into a puff of frizz, so I'd add some serum and calm it down. It literally never dawned on me that my straight hair struggles were happening because my hair wasn't straight. Sure, it had some  wave, sometimes, but I just assumed straight hair was the default. Mine was puffy and needed help all the time, but it was straight. It turns out, I'm not alone. In fact, this blogger  had the same realization, and the descriptions of her hair rang true for me as well. I've always had "damaged ends" or "a texture issue", even right after a major haircut. So what gives? About two years ago I decided it was time to do a big chop, and cut