Copy code Skip to main content

How to Do Dip Powder Nails

 Staying at home means avoiding the nail salon, and as someone who always  smudges regular nail polish (seriously, how is it possible that they can still  be ready to smear by the time I go to bed?), I have a newfound appreciation for the variety of modern manicure solutions available. I previously reviewed Ohora's at-home gel strips , which are a great option for hassle-free designs. Another option that I really like, even though I am far  from a pro, is dip powder. Dip powder is essentially an acrylic powder that contains pigments or glitters. You purchase a set of liquids that can be used with the powders of your choice for a quick and clean manicure that requires very little dry time. Dip powder is easily accessible, and if you're new to dip nails in general, I'd suggest a reasonably priced option for practice. I started with the Lavender Violets brand on Amazon, which comes with a set of powders + all the liquids you need for a beginner. I did find that the l...

Easy Mac & Cheese (With Gluten Free Option)

Macaroni and cheese is quite possibly one of my favorite foods, and this recipe is one that can easily be made gluten free if needed. In fact, it's pretty easy to make overall!

Ingredients:

  • Noodles of your choice (I used one 13 oz box of regular wheat penne, and about half of an 8 oz. box of gluten free quinoa noodles)
  • One 8 oz cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 fat)
  • 2 cups of shredded cheese of your choice (recommended that you use mostly cheddar, but feel free to mix it up!)
  • 3 tbsp flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free)
  • 1/2-1 tsp of ground cayenne pepper, depending on your preference
  • 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
  • 2 cups of milk (I used skim in the recipe)


Boil and strain the noodles according to the package directions. In a medium pan add butter/olive oil and cream cheese. It is helpful to cut the cream cheese into smaller pieces before tossing it into the pan, if you are using an 8 ounce block. Cook this on medium-high heat for a few minutes to soften the cream cheese further.


Add the milk slowly, and the flour and cayenne pepper. Mix ingredients to continue melting the cream cheese. When the mixture is smooth, add your shredded cheese. Continue cooking and stirring until you have a creamy cheese sauce.

Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles, and you're finished!


Using the amount of ingredients listed for the cheese sauce, I had just enough for 15-16 oz of noodles. If you are gluten free, you will likely only need to swap out the flour and noodles for gluten free options. The cheese sauce tastes no different with gluten free flour as opposed to regular white flour, which is great if you, like me, are cooking for a household where not everyone else is avoiding gluten.

Wheat noodles, and gluten free macaroni & cheese!
The overall cooking time is 15-20 minutes, making a meal that is quick and delicious!

Follow me on Pinterest!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Do Dip Powder Nails

 Staying at home means avoiding the nail salon, and as someone who always  smudges regular nail polish (seriously, how is it possible that they can still  be ready to smear by the time I go to bed?), I have a newfound appreciation for the variety of modern manicure solutions available. I previously reviewed Ohora's at-home gel strips , which are a great option for hassle-free designs. Another option that I really like, even though I am far  from a pro, is dip powder. Dip powder is essentially an acrylic powder that contains pigments or glitters. You purchase a set of liquids that can be used with the powders of your choice for a quick and clean manicure that requires very little dry time. Dip powder is easily accessible, and if you're new to dip nails in general, I'd suggest a reasonably priced option for practice. I started with the Lavender Violets brand on Amazon, which comes with a set of powders + all the liquids you need for a beginner. I did find that the l...

Apple Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes and Bacon

If you've seen my post about  Peachy Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes , you already know how I feel about sheet pan recipes. These sheet pancakes pull together all the goodness of regular pancakes, plus the ease of a casserole-- no more standing at the stove flipping batter! UPDATE: These make a great breakfast sandwich -- perfect for a crowd! If you have not checked out that recipe, I recommend you check it out , as this is a significant improvement over an adaptation of the first. Since it's fall, and we have been doing all the fall things-- like a family pumpkin painting day, and trying to brave the fall festivals even though it's unexpectedly hot-- these pancakes bring a taste of fall with apples, cinnamon, maple syrup and bacon. Yum! Read on for the recipe. Apple Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes Ingredients: 1 cup gluten free bisquick 2 tbsp cooking oil of choice, plus a little for greasing the pan 1 egg 1 cup milk 1/2 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for...

Sustainable Style: Are Rothy's All Hype or Plastic's Happily Ever After?

If you're a woman who has spent any time on social media, you've likely seen the ads for Rothy's. These sustainable flats have been seen on the feet of Silicon Valley tech professionals, celebrities, and politicians. There are Rothy's fan clubs that trade and sell "unicorn" shoes, or those discontinued but highly coveted colors and patterns, who share pictures of colorful shoe collections. But do these plastic shoes live up to the hype? It took me a while to take the plunge, and I think it's worth sharing the good, the bad, and the confusing so that you can make a decision about whether or not this shoe brand is right for you. I am just a consumer and am not being compensated in any way for this review. All opinions are just that-- opinions, and should be treated as such. Now, on to the fun part! About a year ago I tried out Rothy's new-at-the-time Chelsea boot, which is honestly less of a boot, and more of a high top slip-on sneak...