Copy code Skip to main content

How to Do Dip Powder Nails

 Staying at home means avoiding the nail salon, and as someone who always  smudges regular nail polish (seriously, how is it possible that they can still  be ready to smear by the time I go to bed?), I have a newfound appreciation for the variety of modern manicure solutions available. I previously reviewed Ohora's at-home gel strips , which are a great option for hassle-free designs. Another option that I really like, even though I am far  from a pro, is dip powder. Dip powder is essentially an acrylic powder that contains pigments or glitters. You purchase a set of liquids that can be used with the powders of your choice for a quick and clean manicure that requires very little dry time. Dip powder is easily accessible, and if you're new to dip nails in general, I'd suggest a reasonably priced option for practice. I started with the Lavender Violets brand on Amazon, which comes with a set of powders + all the liquids you need for a beginner. I did find that the l...

Faux Potatoes: Mashed Cauliflower

When it comes to eating healthy, potatoes, in their many delicious forms, are my weakness. Sure, they technically count as vegetables (depending on who you ask), but they are, unfortunately, purveyors of copious amounts of sweet, sweet carbs.

I had heard of using cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes, and I was intrigued, but not totally convinced that mashed cauliflower didn't just look like mashed potatoes, without tasting like them. Here is the recipe that I used:


Note: I'm short on space in this apartment, and I'm not always sure that I will be able to use fresh veggies in time, so I chose to use frozen cauliflower. You can substitute a head of fresh cauliflower as you wish.

You will need:
  • 1 lb of cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
  • 3 tsbp of butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic (add more to taste)
  • 1/3 of an 8 oz block of cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup of ground or grated parmesan cheese
  • Chives, basil, or other seasonings for garnish
  • A food processor
To make, boil or steam the cauliflower until hot. While it is still hot, add to the food processor along with the butter, cream cheese, parmesan, and garlic. Blend until smooth. Serve topped with chives (optional).

This recipe was really, surprisingly good, and similar to potatoes! While it was not exactly the same, it was definitely close enough, and would probably work very well in recipes that call for mashed potatoes, as a way to cut carbs.

Follow me on Pinterest.

You may also be interested in:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Do Dip Powder Nails

 Staying at home means avoiding the nail salon, and as someone who always  smudges regular nail polish (seriously, how is it possible that they can still  be ready to smear by the time I go to bed?), I have a newfound appreciation for the variety of modern manicure solutions available. I previously reviewed Ohora's at-home gel strips , which are a great option for hassle-free designs. Another option that I really like, even though I am far  from a pro, is dip powder. Dip powder is essentially an acrylic powder that contains pigments or glitters. You purchase a set of liquids that can be used with the powders of your choice for a quick and clean manicure that requires very little dry time. Dip powder is easily accessible, and if you're new to dip nails in general, I'd suggest a reasonably priced option for practice. I started with the Lavender Violets brand on Amazon, which comes with a set of powders + all the liquids you need for a beginner. I did find that the l...

Apple Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes and Bacon

If you've seen my post about  Peachy Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes , you already know how I feel about sheet pan recipes. These sheet pancakes pull together all the goodness of regular pancakes, plus the ease of a casserole-- no more standing at the stove flipping batter! UPDATE: These make a great breakfast sandwich -- perfect for a crowd! If you have not checked out that recipe, I recommend you check it out , as this is a significant improvement over an adaptation of the first. Since it's fall, and we have been doing all the fall things-- like a family pumpkin painting day, and trying to brave the fall festivals even though it's unexpectedly hot-- these pancakes bring a taste of fall with apples, cinnamon, maple syrup and bacon. Yum! Read on for the recipe. Apple Cinnamon Sheet Pancakes Ingredients: 1 cup gluten free bisquick 2 tbsp cooking oil of choice, plus a little for greasing the pan 1 egg 1 cup milk 1/2 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for...

Sustainable Style: Are Rothy's All Hype or Plastic's Happily Ever After?

If you're a woman who has spent any time on social media, you've likely seen the ads for Rothy's. These sustainable flats have been seen on the feet of Silicon Valley tech professionals, celebrities, and politicians. There are Rothy's fan clubs that trade and sell "unicorn" shoes, or those discontinued but highly coveted colors and patterns, who share pictures of colorful shoe collections. But do these plastic shoes live up to the hype? It took me a while to take the plunge, and I think it's worth sharing the good, the bad, and the confusing so that you can make a decision about whether or not this shoe brand is right for you. I am just a consumer and am not being compensated in any way for this review. All opinions are just that-- opinions, and should be treated as such. Now, on to the fun part! About a year ago I tried out Rothy's new-at-the-time Chelsea boot, which is honestly less of a boot, and more of a high top slip-on sneak...